To fix the status_breakpoint error, update the browser and restart it. If it does not work, try renaming chrome.exe or msedge.exe to a different name.
You might see this error on Chrome or Edge. Also at this point, we only have a few reasons for why this error might be happening. There aren’t many troubleshooting steps available.
According to the Microsoft documentation, the status_breakpoint error code means:
“Encountering a hardware-defined breakpoint; used only by debuggers.”
Fix status_breakpoint error on Chrome
If you are getting this error on Chrome or Edge, here are the basic troubleshooting steps available so far:
- Update Google Chrome to the latest version.
- Uninstall extensions and apps that you no longer use.
- Install any updates available on your computer, especially for Windows 10.
- Restart your computer.
Fix status_breakpoint error on Edge
If updating Edge did not fix the error, try renaming the msedge.exe file. To do this:
- Open C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application
- Rename the msedge.exe to something else, anything other than its current name.
- Restart Edge.
Is Edge working again now? Let us know in the comments section. If you have any other troubleshooting steps that worked, please leave us a comment and we will add them.
We shall update this article as more workarounds and troubleshooting steps become available.
If you are an Edge user, keep an eye on this forum thread.