Do you want to change the default language on your Chrome browser? In this article, I will show you how to change the language in Google Chrome is displayed.
Change Language on Chrome
The following steps change the language in which Chrome is displayed (the menu, options, and settings) and not the web content.
Note: You can do this only on Windows computers.
To change the language on Chrome:
- Click the three-dots settings menu on the top-right corner.
- Choose Settings.
- Select Languages from the left pane.
- If the language you are looking for is already on the list, click the three-dots icon and choose Display Google Chrome in this language.
- To add a new language, click Add languages.
- Click the check-box next to the language and then click Add.
- Click the three-dots icon next to the newly added language and choose Display Google Chrome in this language to change the language.
Change Chrome’s Language on Android
To change the default language on Google Chrome for Android, complete the following steps:
- Open Chrome and tap the three-dots settings icon.
- Select from the menu.
- Scroll down and select Languages under the Advanced section.
- To change Chrome’s default language, select Current device language.
- Select the new default language from the list. This changes the language Chrome uses on the UI.
Apart from selecting the UI language, Chrome for Android lets you add one or more preferred langauges.
What does it do?
Let’s assume that you selected Spanish as a preferred language. Google Chrome will attempt to display webpages you vist in Spanish, whenever possible.
This applies only to the website content. The browser UI remains in the default language you selected.
Here is one more thing you can do from the Languages section.
The Offer to send pages in other languages to Google Translate toggle lets you decide if you want Chrome to offer translation services. If you do not want to see the translation prompt, disable this toggle.
Automatically trnaslate these langages – If you want Chrome to automatically translate content in certain languages, tap this option and select your languages. This saves you time while viewing content in languages you need translation help.
Don’t offer to translate these langauges – What if there are langauges different to your default languages, but you do not Chrome to offer to translate them? Select these languages under Don’t offer to translate these languages.
I hope you found this tutorial useful. Subscribe to Chrome Story for regular Google Chrome tips and news.